Latest Posts

Universe Bios Installation service Unibios


8Bitplus had teamed up with Razoola from the Universe Bios (Unibios) project for Neo-Geo as an Official 3rd Party installer.

I can now provide and install the official Unibios chip when you send your system to me. This covers the full MVS range, AES and CD systems. All installations by myself are fully tested and completed to a high standard. 

What can the UniBios do for your Neo-Geo?

  • Switch between AES and MVS game play types.
  • Change region of any system without external switches
  • Full host of developer and debug options.
  • Soft rebooting on MVS boards.
  • Cheat database for each game.
  • Memory, save game and high score management.
  • Loads more, See full feature list here.

Please note I only provide the Universe Bios when installing. I don’t offer them for sale individually.

If you have a Neo-Geo and would like an Official Universe Bios installing, please contact me here.

SNK Forever

Universal Programmer & SNES SuperCIC

I just got my first Universal Programmer last week, and thought for a test run I’d make a SuperCIC ship for my SNES.

All that’s needed is a PIC16F630 and the Lock code from the developers site. All credit to Ikari_01 for the time and skills to reverse engineer the Nintendo CIC Lockout device.

So this mod allows me to remove my existing 50/60hz and CIC disabling switches. Its a fully switchless mod using the reset button to change modes. SuperCIC also allows full compatibility between PAL and NTSC games and behaves just as either of the original CIC chips.
Expect more BIOS and EPROM programming projects to feature here soon….

PC Engine Duo full service and modifications

Finished with my latest commission work. A PC Engine Duo was sent in for a full service, board re-cap, RGB Amp and dual region mod. Take a look how it turned out.

Click the image or here.

PC Engine Duo (first version) can suffer from bad caps after so many years resulting in audio and CD problems. I always recommend changing them. RGB modification is also a must. Its hard to believe NEC didn’t include RGB output on most PC Engine consoles

If you have any console that needs repairs, capacitor replacement or upgrades, please get in contact here.

A1200 Motherboard Repairs (part 4)

Still looking at the 1.D.1 board with the bad capacitors and missing IDE connection.

I managed to clean up the IDE connector as you can see below. A little flux and the solder pump did the job. I also removed and replaced all the original capacitors and replaced with new ones. The board cleaned up very well.

I sourced the replacement IDE connector from AmigaKit. Installation was very easy on a clean board. Just slot it in and apply a little liquid flux to the solder point. Then its just a matter of making sure not to apply too much solder. Results look good to me.

When I finished cleaning up the board, I connected a 4Gb CF hard drive and boot it up. Loaded Workbench first time.

Another board fully restored. So that only leaves the one with the video color problem…..

A1200 Motherboard Repairs (part 3)

Finally got chance to take a look at another couple of A1200 boards.

Firstly a version 1.D.4 that looked to be in good cosmetic condition. This board booted up and passed all my tests so far. No work needed. Happy days!

Next was an older 1.D.1 and it wasn’t in such good shape.
I hooked it up and couldn’t get it to boot. After hunting round the board I found it was missing a smd resistor (R591C) next to the CPU. It looked like it had been knocked off at some point. Replaced the resistor and it Boots!

That’s it for the easy part of this particular board. It was clear to see it was missing its IDE connector. I do seem to remember when I got this board (10 years) ago, that someone had soldered an IDE cable directly to the board, and I quickly removed it. After that it went to storage and I didn’t look at it again. The connector area was a mess, most of the caps in that area also look very bad. I can hardly believe it still works. C239 is even starting to split.

So I plan to replace ALL the Caps, and fully unsolder and clean the IDE area. Then replace with a new IDE header. I may have to repair some of the motherboard tracks that look heat damaged.