Initial D Arcade Cabinet (part 1)

Time to reveal another project I’m working on…. I’m going to build another racing arcade game.

I recently purchased another arcade cabinet (with the wife’s permission). As you may have seen here, some years ago I built an arcade racing cabinet using real arcade parts where possible. It was done to resemble a classic Sega Rally machine and ran on a PC with a Logitech control system. Full details here:

Sega Rally cabinet build and details.

This was a great project and something I have really enjoyed both in the construction process, and when finished. The only thing that I wasn’t completely satisfied with was the base unit construction. I build it from wood, and was never able to fully capture the look of the metal cabinets. It was passable and good fun to play though. I decided to keep an eye out for a genuine Sega racing cabinet frame to update my build with.

Empty Racing Cabinet Found

I found an empty cabinet that was very close to home that would do nicely. The cabinet was a little rough, and would need a full restoration before going in my workshop, but it was a very reasonable price. It was being sold by a trusted contact of mine at VideotronicsUK based in Bradford. I’ve bought several arcade machines and parts from Mo over the years so I knew there would be no issues.

Soon I decided not to continue the Sega Rally theme, and that Initial D would be a good choice. I have always loved the Initial D Arcade Stage games, and actually played them more than Sega Rally in the present cabinet. Luckily I managed to get a complete Initial D dashboard and wheel from the same seller.

A week later the cabinet was in my garage ready for me to start work.


Time to take it apart. I needed to dismantle everything, right down to the base. As you can see, some of the metal panels were suffering with rust spots and flaking paint. I could have tried to clean this off myself, but thought it would be best too just send everything off for shotblasting with a local company. I was suppressed how easy it was to disassemble, but some parts are very heavy.

The base and other large panels are now off for shotblasting. More updates soon.


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bot check *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.