Projects

A1200 Motherboard Repairs (part 3)

Finally got chance to take a look at another couple of A1200 boards.

Firstly a version 1.D.4 that looked to be in good cosmetic condition. This board booted up and passed all my tests so far. No work needed. Happy days!

Next was an older 1.D.1 and it wasn’t in such good shape.
I hooked it up and couldn’t get it to boot. After hunting round the board I found it was missing a smd resistor (R591C) next to the CPU. It looked like it had been knocked off at some point. Replaced the resistor and it Boots!

That’s it for the easy part of this particular board. It was clear to see it was missing its IDE connector. I do seem to remember when I got this board (10 years) ago, that someone had soldered an IDE cable directly to the board, and I quickly removed it. After that it went to storage and I didn’t look at it again. The connector area was a mess, most of the caps in that area also look very bad. I can hardly believe it still works. C239 is even starting to split.

So I plan to replace ALL the Caps, and fully unsolder and clean the IDE area. Then replace with a new IDE header. I may have to repair some of the motherboard tracks that look heat damaged.

Amiga 600 Vampire project

I’ve started work on my Amiga 600 in preparation for the arrival of my Vampire 600 accelerator board.
This little board will upgrade the modest A600 to around 100x its original speed and performance. It also adds GFX modes with HDMI and AGA game support to the A600. Can’t wait for this one!

In the meantime I’ve installed Kickstart 3.1 rom and a CF HDD to the stock A600.

If you want to know more about this card then checkout the developers site or Apollo Accelerators
Just a matter of waiting for it now.

PC Engine CD system

Just got another system that was on my wanted list for some time. The PC Engine, Interface Unit and CD-Rom2.

I’ve had a Duo console for a while but nothing beats the original pair, like the Megadrive and MegaCD; just looks so cool.

Its very hard to find one of these CD drives that works, and I’m lucky that this one does although the audio playback is skipping a bit. Still not bad when you think that its heading to 30 years old!
I’m planning to give this system a full servicing, new laser unit, capacitor kit and RGB video mod.

Naomi cabinet

I have finally got round to painting the metal covers on my Sega Naomi universal cabinet.
Looks great with new lettering on the side.

The aluminium were sand blasted and primed before painting.

Very happy with the results.