Workshop Progress (January)

Well its been an exciting month so far. My long awaited workshop was built just before Christmas, and I could start working on the interior. As I’ve mentioned, I want to use this space as a workshop, office (work from home) and somewhere to put some video games and arcade machines. See my previous post for the concept renders.

I did a lot of research on other peoples garage/office installations to give me an idea on where to start. Firstly I decided to paint the interior joins with bitumen paint. This was applied around the base pointing, and up the sealed sections. I had rather a lot of this paint left over, so decided to paint all the exposed concrete.

Now to tackle the floor. with this being a solid concrete base it’s a good idea to put down an damp proof membrane first. Then the floor insulation was placed down. I didn’t have a lots of space available for the floor insulation, so I used 5mm foil backed insulation sections that slot together. Finally on top of that we installed 18mm flooring sections. These are intended to installing in lofts and slot together very easily.

Moving on. A large timber order was received on a cold dark morning, and shortly after that another load with insulating and plasterboards. So starting with the stud work, a frame was constructed around the floor and ceiling level. Then the vertical sections join them up, and more horizontal timbers to strengthen it all. No timber is connected to the concrete, just the floor and wood already installed on top of the concrete sections.

At this stage an electrician was hired to install cables and prepare to connect to the house mains. I also installed cat 6 network cables. A cable was also run from the house router to where I’m installing my network switch. Then we proceeded to install insulation and plasterboards.

The roof apex was packed with 50mm EcoTherm boards, the ceiling and walls also used used another layer of 50mm boards before the plaster boards went up. Any offcuts were also placed in the ceiling void. All plasterboard joins were covered in foil insulation tape.

Still lots to do. I’ll show more progress soon.

1 Comment

  1. Jason

    Wow looks so different on the last picture. Hopefully with all that insulation it’ll be toastie warm in the winter

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bot check *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.